Saturday, February 19, 2011

Solitary Stage

They've got some very valid questions
about my songs and my intentions
and the fact I've never settled down;
"isn't anybody wondering where you are?"
This is home: the stage, the States,
all I own in one suitcase
all the people that I've loved
left back in places I've called home
Let's play truth and consequences:
First the truth? I'm not that interested
I've been burned a couple times,
so now I'm the one who starts the fires
And I probably still believe in love;
the problem is, I just can't trust
So where does that leave us?
(Well) How about those consequences?
I've got this moat around my heart
chock full of mud and monsters
and my archers never sleep,
so use your powers of observation
this stage is more than just the lights and all the adulation:
it's the only place where I can be alone... without --- being alone.
This is home:
the stage,
the States
all I own in one suitcase
all the people that i've loved left back in places I've called home
Someday, I'll stop this war
Someday I'll fall in love,
and know what love is for...
but for tonight, I'll sell the box
and keep the contents under lock and key
and by the time you realize you've lost the game,
I'll be another several homes away,
up on some solitary stage alone again.

No comments:

Post a Comment